Sunday, January 24, 2010

Wave Riders


In analyzing the two photos this week, I couldn’t help but think about the waves of wonder that well up in my classroom. I was forced to ask, “What do those waves look like?”, “Where are they taking me and my students?”, “How can I help make the most of the ride?”

Sometimes the crests of curiosity carry the rider calmly across the curriculum. There is little need for courage as students rarely collide with the content in a meaningful way. These placid peaks propel the pupils along without providing them with a “righteous ride”. What must I do to help stir up the seas and show students that they must not only show off skills, but strive to be stretched? What must I do to shape the swell in a way that causes the surfer to thrive, not merely float along without any passion?

Then, there is the surf that surges with scholastic strength. As it smashes into the shore, the spray soars high into the air creating a stunning sparkle in the sky. This is a surfer’s dream! Only the deft dare to take on the treacherous tower of water that looms large. As students ride the raging waves, what must I do to help them maneuver and maintain momentum, without succumbing to the surge? What must be done to help them overcome and not be overwhelmed? In addition, what must be done to help develop will and not just an appetite for the thrill?

Whether flat or fierce, those waves of wonder must be watched. As the shape, strength, and speed are studied and the surf subsequently seized, depth and dexterity will develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment